A while back I wrote about getting the new book by Sara Lawson (SewSweetness), Windy City Bags. The bag that jumped out me most was a little backpack, and although I am not super confident at my 3-D sewing skills, I jumped in!
The hardest part of making a bag versus a quilt is that you have to cut so many pieces! (I know that sounds silly, but you have to cut the fabric, the interfacing, the lining…it kind of takes forever just to get ready to sew).
I did a few things differently on my bag from the pattern. I added bias tape around the inside of the pocket (top photo) to cover the raw edge of the zipper. I also used heavier interfacing for the straps and bottom of the bag so they would be more sturdy, and I added purse feet to the bottom of my bag.
It was pretty fun sewing…I felt more and more confident as I went, even making little adjustments that made sense to me, like installing the zipper in the main bag panel differently from the instructions. One thing I do wish is for more pictures or illustrations with the pattern. I am pretty visual, and had to read some steps a few times and squeeze my brain a bit to figure it out.
Here is the crazy part of this whole project, two things actually: my regular sewing machine wasn’t tough enough to do the last two seams to put the whole thing together. It was just too thick with all the interfacing and padding, my machine was having none of it. Luckily, my local quilt shop let me come in and use one of their floor model, hefty Berninas to get it done. Then, at a later time, one of the straps came out, so I will have to repair that…maybe do more reinforcing stitches.
It is almost finished! Once I get that strap repaired, I just need to hand stitch the binding that covers the raw seams on the inside of the bag. Probably end up being a summer sewing project (-: