We are on quilt block number three for May in the Super Simple Sampler series. Kind of amazing we have made 35 already! This month we don’t have a theme, I decided to just make a variety of blocks to use the technique from previous months.
Here is how to make this fun half-square triangle block,
from the yellow: cut (2) 1 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ strips; (2) 2 1/2″ squares; (2) 3″ squares, cut on diagonal to yield 4 half-square triangles
from blue and pink (each): (1) 3″ square, cut in half on diagonal to yield 2 half-square triangles (HST)
Right sides facing, 1/4″ seam, press after each seam.
1. Match each pink and blue HST with a yellow HST, right sides facing. Sew the angled edge. Press. If needed, trim to 2 1/2″ square.
2. Arrange the pieces as shown above. Sew one row of pieces in order: pink HST, blue HST, yellow square. Press to the left. (Pay close attention to the orientation of the blue and pink triangles)
3. Sew the second row in order: yellow square, pink HST, blue HST. Press toward the right.
4. Sew a 6 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ yellow strip to each pieced row. Sew to the top of the first row, the bottom of the second row, as shown above.
5. Sew the two halves of the block together to finish. Press.
…and admire the cuteness!