Happy weekend! Today I have the fourth and last Super Simple Sampler block for February. All week I have been showing you how to make easy six inch quilt blocks featuring rectangles. For this block, you will use a partial seam to inset the center square. I will show you how!
from each, navy and pink scraps: cut (1) 2 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ rectangle; (1) 2 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ rectangle
from yellow scraps: cut (2) 1 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ rectangle; (2) 3 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ rectangle
from gray print: cut (1) 2 1/2″ square
right sides facing, 1/4″ seam, press after each seam
1. Sew each 2 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ rectangle to one end of a 2 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ rectangle (I kept it monochromatic, sewing light pink to dark pink, etc. but you can mix up your colors if you like).
2. Arrange the sewn units around the gray pint square as shown above. We will start sewing with the navy rectangle unit as a partial seam.
3. Turn the navy rectangle right sides facing the gray square. Keep the lower right corners aligned as shown above.
4. Begin sewing at the lower right corner and continue seam just a stitch past the light blue rectangle and secure thread. (see below)
5. open the navy rectangle unit and finger press the seam you just made. Return the navy/gray unit to its position with the other pieces.
6. turn the yellow rectangle right sides facing the center square/navy rectangle. The length of the yellow unit should match the length of the center square/navy unit as shown below.
7. Sew the yellow rectangle to the center square/navy unit. Press.
8. Refer to photo above for layout. Sew the pink rectangle to the center square next.
9. To add the last yellow rectangle: fold the navy rectangle down and away from the upper right corner of the gray center square.
10. Place the yellow rectangle right sides facing the gray square/pink edge and sew the length. Press.
11. replace the loose end of the navy rectangle in its proper position. Turn the navy rectangle so it is right sides facing the center square/yellow rectangle as shown below:
12. Place the entire block under the presser foot and begin sewing where you stopped the partial seam in step four. Complete the seam to the edge, connecting the navy rectangle to the center square and yellow rectangle.
Press your block and it is finished! Hopefully it measures 6 1/2″ and makes a cute addition to the other sampler blocks.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend and thanks for sewing with me!