This month our Super Simple Sampler quilt blocks’ theme is “flying geese”. These are a bit more challenging than last month when we did strips, but very quick and fun to make nonetheless. This block is part of my monthly series of basic modern six inch sampler blocks. I will show you how to make four blocks with flying geese this week to add to what we have made in earlier months. They will also accompany the blocks I have made from Tula Pink’s City Sampler Book (read those posts, Here).
Here is how to make our first flying geese block:
from blue/white print (large number fabric): (2) 3 1/2″ squares
from dark blue print: (2) 3 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ rectangles; (12) 1 1/2″ squares
from each of pink and yellow: (3) 1 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ rectangles
Sewing (1/4″ seam, press after each seam):
1. Place a dark blue 1 1/2″ square right sides facing a pink rectangle, so the square covers just one end of the rectangle.
2. fold the square in half on diagonal and finger press a crease to mark (see below)
3. Using the crease as your guide, sew a diagonal seam across the square. Trim the excess corner fabric 1/4″ from seam. Open the blue fabric and press.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 for all the pink and yellow rectangles.
5. Use the same method to add a second 1 1/2″ dark blue square to each of the rectangles. When you add the second square, begin sewing at the center (where it overlaps the the first) and sew toward the corner.
6. Trim and press as in step 3. This makes six flying geese units.
7. Sew the the yellow geese units together and sew the pink units together as arranged above. Press.
8. Sew the 3 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ rectangle to the bottom of the yellow geese unit and sew the second 3 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ blue rectangle to the top of the pink geese. Press toward the dark blue rectangle.
9. Lay the block components out as as shown above. Sew one 3 1/2″ square white print to the top of the yellow geese and a 3 1/2″ white print square to the bottom of the pink geese. Press toward the white.
10. Sew the two halves together to form compete block. This should measure 6 1/2″ square.
Thanks for sewing with me! This block makes a cute addition to our other sampler blocks.