I did it! I finally finished my center star for the Aviatrix medallion quilt. I have to say I really love it, is it okay to say that about your own quilt?
I really love making medallion quilts (so far I’ve done the Marcelle Medallion and Midnight at the Oasis). This pattern is called Aviatrix Medallion and was created by Elizabeth Hartman. (you can buy the pattern here and see how the original looks).
Now, I do have some explaining to do because if you are familiar with the pattern, you know mine looks different. While I love the original quilt, I really wanted mine to have a larger, more emphasized center star compared to the subsequent borders. To keep things simple, I still made the star with the birds according to the pattern, but I used prints instead of solid colors.
The pattern calls for cutting each diamond individually, and they are really tiny. I thought I could manage it better and keep better accuracy if I paper foundation pieced the diamonds. I drafted a pattern for myself from the measurements of the diamond template on the pattern, then labelled the paper to keep track of which fabric went in each spot. This did require some imagination since paper piecing is actually the mirror image of regular piecing. As you can see, I pressed my seams open, keeping fingers crossed the entire time that the seams would match up!!
As I said, I wanted to create a larger central medallion, so I designed a chevron pattern that surrounds and expands the central bird star. I like how it kind of radiates out because I started with a light print, then medium, then darkest on the outside. These chevron pieces were made using strips, then cutting at 45 degree angles to make diamonds.
The next step is my first border! Since my star block is so big, I will be skipping the half-square-triangle border that comes first on the pattern. I’ll have to enjoy it as is for now, though, at least until after the holidays and kids get back to school and we return from family visits.
Have a great week! Linking with Lee for WIP Wednesday
Getting sharp points in the center where so many seams come together can be tricky, see how I do it Here