For November, the Super Simple Sampler blocks theme is “Squares”, so today I have the instructions to make this cute six inch block. Find the instructions to make the first eight blocks Here (we did Crosses in September and Triangles in October).
Yellow: cut strip 9 1/2″ x 1 1/2″
dark blue print: cut strip 9 1/2″ x 1 1/2″
light gray print: (2) 3 1/2″ x 2 1/2″; (2) 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″; (4) 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″
Sewing (1/4″ seam allowance, press after each seam):
1. Sew the blue and yellow strips together along length. Cut into (6) 1 1/2″ sections.
2. Arrange the two patch units as shown below with the four 1 1/2″ squares light gray.
3. Sew the light gray squares to the ends of four blue/yellow two patches: make two with the gray sewn to a yellow square and two with the gray sewn to a blue square.
4. Sew the last two blue/yellow units together forming a four patch for the center of the block.
5. Sew the three-square units made in step 3 together as shown in the photo above: the yellow and blue square should form a stair-step pattern.
6. Sew the light gray 2 1/2″ squares to either side of the center blue/yellow four patch (as shown in layout in photo above).
7. Sew the 3 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ rectangles gray to the six-square units made in step 5. For the top row of the block, sew the gray rectangle to the yellow/gray end of the squares unit. For the bottom row of the block, sew the gray rectangle to the blue/gray end of the squares unit. Sew photo above for layout.
8. Sew the three rows together to complete the block. Press.
Super simple, but super cute! If you happen to be making these with me, and you are on Instagram, use #supersimplesampler to tag your photos.