Happy Day! it is month two of the Super Simple Sampler: we are making six inch blocks and today I am continuing the triangle theme for October.
from each, dark and light yellow: (1) 2″ square
from each, dark and light black: (1) 2″ square
from each, dark and light blue: (1) 4″ square, cut in half diagonally *for this block you just need one triangle of each. the other will be used in another block*
from pink: (2) 2″ x 3 1/2″ rectangles, and (2) 5″ x 2″ rectangles
1. Match the light yellow/dark yellow squares right sides facing. Do the same for the dark/light black. Line up the 1/4″ line of your ruler with the corner/corner diagonal of the square as shown below:
2. Cut the corner of the square as shown. Sew the diagonal, open and press to form a 2″ half-square triangle unit (HST).
3. Match the light/dark blue HST right sides facing and sew the long edge with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Open and press. Trim to 3 1/2″ square as needed.
4. Arrange the HST units with the pink rectangles as shown above. Sew the 3 1/2″ pink rectangles to opposite sides of the blue HST unit. Press toward pink.
5. Sew the yellow HST unit to one end of one pink 5″ rectangle. Do the same with the black HST. Press toward the pink.
6. Sew the yellow/pink fabric strip and the black/pink strip to opposite sides of the blue HST unit as shown above. Press seams open.
Quilt Block should measure 6 1/2″ at this point.
Save those leftover blue HST’s! You will need them tomorrow.