Welcome to the series, Super Simple Sampler: 6″ Modern Quilt blocks. Today you will find the instructions to make our third cross block. This is our first month, so just getting started. Find the other blocks, Here. These patterns are part of my 2014-15 Book Club Project. Find out more about the series Here.
from the light blue floral: cut (4) 2 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ rectangles
from the dark blue: cut (4) 1 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ rectangles
from the yellow: cut (4) 1 3/4″ x 1 3/4″ squares
1. Arrange the floral rectangle as shown above. The upper left and lower right are oriented vertically (2 1/2″ x 3 1/2″) and the lower left and upper right are oriented horizontally (3 1/2″ x 2 1/2″). Place the yellow squares, right sides of fabric facing, in the inside corner of each rectangle.
2. Sew across the diagonal of each yellow square, turning it into a triangle as shown below (trim excess fabric outside of sewn seam):
3. Press the yellow triangles.
4. Sew a dark blue rectangle to one long side of each floral/yellow rectangle unit. The dark blue rectangle is sewn to the same long side as the yellow triangle. Press.
5. Sew the top two units together at the center and press toward the dark blue. Sew the bottom two units together at the center and press toward the dark blue.
6. Sew the two units together at the center. Press open or gently separate the stitches at the center that fall outside the last seam. This allows you to press the two sides in opposite directions, both toward the dark blue.
The block is 6 1/2″ at this point. And doesn’t it look cute with the first two?