On Sunday, I told you about a new quilters’ book club series I am starting. Each month I will make four blocks from Tula Pink’s 100 Modern Quilt Blocks book. I will also design four of my own blocks, making eight in all each month and a total of 72 by the end.
Today I have the instructions to make the first block! This month we have cross blocks, but for this one I turned it on its side to make an “x”. The block is 6 1/2″.
Cutting (for simplicity, I will list fabrics in the same colors as the ones in my block, please adapt to your own color choices)
from the dark blue dot (border): cut 2 strips 4 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ plus 2 strips 6 1/2″ x 1 1/2″
from each of the light blue, green, yellow, pink: cut 2 squares 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″
from the white: cut 4 squares 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″
1. Arrange the four white squares in a four patch pattern on design surface. Each white square will have a small colored square sewn to the two opposite corners that finish on the edges of the block. See the photo above, the two colored squares of the same color must be sewn adjacent so they come together in the finished block.
2. Starting with one white square (lower right), turn the color squares so they are right sides facing the white fabric. Sew across the squares diagonally and trim the corner outside the seam. Open the resulting triangle and press.
3. Continue in the same way to sew the all the color squares in place, trim, turn and press to create triangles.
4. Sew the left two white squares together at the center seam, joining the blue triangles. Press open.
5. Sew the right side white squares together at the center seam, joining the yellow triangles. press open.
6. Sew the two units together at the center, joining the pink and the green triangles.
7. add the border strips: sew the 4 1/2″ strips first to opposite sides of the block. Press toward the strips.
8. Sew the 6 1/2″ strips to the last two sides of the block. Press toward the strips.
there it is! off to a great start with block #1.