Work in progress

W.I.P.: Hexagon Lone Star Quilt

So I am suddenly springing a nearly finished (just needs binding) quilt on you! I didn’t post any process pictures of this one because I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it (submission, pattern, whatever).
I picked it up from the long arm quilter yesterday. This is one of those quilts that I loved as I was making it…then didn’t like it too much once it was finished. I do like it better now it’s quilted.

So why did it languish unfinished for so long? (I posted about starting it Here)
Why am I kind of iffy about it?
First of all, I love the Happy Go Lucky fabric (by Bonnie and Camille for Moda, spring 2013). I made this with a pre-cut honeycomb pack, and then cut some additional hexagons from some fat quarters.
I love the idea of making the hexagons into a star like this.
What I wish I had done differently: used a darker blue fabric for the outline strip around the star and/or skipped all that white! I wanted a clean look, but now I think it would be so much better (and more “me”) if I had bought some yardage of one of the prints and used that for the background.
Now that’s a good view: pretty colors! cute prints! great quilting!
This is growing on me, I think.
Perhaps I will work up a free pattern to post here on the blog or for my Newsletter subscribers.
Now to bind? white, aqua, darker color? hmmm.
Happy Day!

Visit SharonMcConnell’s Craftsy Pattern Store »

17 thoughts on “W.I.P.: Hexagon Lone Star Quilt

1. Kris says:

Lovely! I think you should bind it in aqua…you can only see it in the outline on the bottom pic and that is so pretty. oh and yes on the free pattern! 🙂

2. Marly says:

It’s beautiful. How about a white binding? Because it looks just great as it is. I love the way you’ve outlined the star in aqua.

3. I think white would look lovely as binding. So pretty. Would love a pattern.

4. Jennie says:

It’s beautiful. White would look great and very fresh, but red/pink (I can’t tell what it is from the photo) would frame it!

5. It’s a gorgeous quilt, Sharon! Yes, it would look striking with a navy or darker blue frame, but it might take away the soft feel of the quilt. How about binding it with the aqua “frame” fabric?

6. sophie says:

It’s such a clever idea … I am glad that you seem to be learning to love it.

7. The quilt is beautiful and the white background draws attention to the wonderful quilting detail!

8. ~Diana says:

No regrets, it’s a lovely quilt, and I’m glad I’m a newsletter subscriber! How about dark blue for the binding to give it that pop? 🙂

9. I think it looks fantastic!

10. You could add some type of embellishment to the outside of the star to give it an outline, with a dark blue color. A few ideas would be rickrack in any size— couch a piece of ribbon/lace or trim—-or even embroidery!! You could even make small hexies to add, which would carry the theme through. Or yo yo rosettes. Just thinking out loud & thought you might like to know what I imagined

11. Your last photograph of the quilt is just stunning. I keep wondering what king of binding you are going to choose maybe a bit darker or brighter?

12. It’s subtle and sweet… perfect.

13. A Nudge says:

Love your hexie quilt!

14. Anita says:

It’s beautiful! I would add an aqua or scrappy binding, very pretty 🙂

15. Aaron Carter says:

I have always loved the hexagonal design. You can never go wrong with flowers and hexagons. Everyone loves flowers and they just make you happy so it’s a win win.

Aaron Carter | http://www.bunburyflowerplace.com.au

16. Vera says:

Nice design and perfect quilting indeed.