Uncategorized

Quilting Photography

I have been playing around with photographing my quilts lately. I am the wacky lady carrying “blankets” around and taking pictures of them in nature. Cleo enjoys chasing squirrels while we are on these outings.
You see, I am upgrading all my patterns: adding size options with fabric requirements, new graphics and new pictures. I am trying to decide what kind of “look” I like. The thing is, I like outdoor pictures but I wonder if that shows the quilt best, or if it should be in its natural habitat, like on a bed or something. what do you think?

Would you take my survey?

what are your sources for quilting patterns: on paper, pdf downloads, in books, single patterns, quilt alongs online, etc?
what attracts you to buy a pattern?
if it is how the photo looks on the cover, what is eye-catching to you?
if it is the quilt design, do you like modern designs or more traditional designs?
if it is the level of difficulty, do you like challenging quilts or simple quilts that make up fast?
do you like patterns that use pre-cuts like layer cakes or jelly rolls, or does that not matter?
I would really appreciate your suggestions!
thanks for reading and sewing with me.

13 thoughts on “Quilting Photography

1. LynCC says:

What attracts me to buy a pattern – the photo is probably the foremost snagger – its setting – I love outdoor on-site pics, the overall prettiness, a color scheme I like will attract me, although I’m fairly good at imagining a quilt in my own color ideas. I like both modern and traditional patterns, but I don’t like muddy colors or crazy overly hyper assaults on my eyes that look like somebody on LSD with no sense of rhyme or reason threw chaos together (none of your quilts do that – the popping ones have perfect resting areas and are FUN!) I love patterns that are great for layer cakes. They let me sample an entire collection without buying 400 yards and the patterns give you a reasonable outlet for that. ;D Personally, I don’t like buying smaller precuts, but that’s just because of my allergy to the sizing which makes me have to prewash everything. Ever try prewashing a jelly roll? Not fun. 😛 [ack – I ran wild – sorry!] lol

2. I’m afraid I’m probably not going to be much help :). I make quilt from all of ten sources that you lost above and as for skill level it depends on what kind of mood I’m in. I like quick simple quilts but if unlike the pattern enough I will definitely go for the harder ones. I do love patterns that use precuts since cutting is my least favorite part of making a quilt. And lastly the thing that most attracts me to a pattern is being able to envision it in fabrics that I like. Good luck taking your new photos and editing your existing patterns!!

3. Lori S says:

d) all of the above? For me it is different kinds of quilts for different purposes. I have purchased online pdfs and been very happy, I have followed quilt alongs, and I buy single patterns. The one thing I rarely do is purchase books. I like size options in a pattern. Sometimes I like a design but how many lap quilts can a person make? Sometimes I am too lazy to figure out additional fabric requirements etc, if I am paying for a pattern I want someone to do that for me. As for pictures I like to be able to see the quilt clearly, sometimes the setting distracts from that. For a pattern cover I like a straight on shot so I know what I am buying.I am not a huge modern or precut fan, although occasionally I do go there, but I may be in the minority on that front. Not sure my rambling was helpful, but in the end you have to do what feels right to you and what you are happy to put your name on.

4. mtnquiltr says:

My sources for patterns are pdf downloads and online quilt alongs. I rarely buy a paper pattern, occasionally I see something in a magazine. I like pictures of the quilt in outdoor settings. Your ones above are all attractive. I like quilts in bright colours, I’m not a fan of browns and beiges. I like modern or traditional designs, but in modern fabrics. As for difficulty, I don’t mind a challenge, it doesn’t need to be too simple, paper piecing is OK. I find templates too fiddly. I only occasionally buy precuts, but I can see how it would be useful to use say a jelly roll. Having said all this, yesterday I was in a park taking pictures. Hard isn’t it? And this morning I was thinking about buying a jelly roll! Lastly, I like patterns in multi sizes. I’m always trying to make huge quilts, and I’d like to have the fabric requirements for my size as well as others. Hope this helps!

5. Mara Cockman says:

1) I prefer pdfs for my patterns and I’ve recently been buying books like crazy too.
    2) I hate to say this, but I think the first thing that attracts me is the fabric used in the quilt on the cover. If I love the fabric I will generally give the pattern a closer look. And yes I know that’s silly….just keeping it real.
    3) I prefer modern designs
    4) I never even look at the difficulty level. I figure if I have a good pattern I can muddle my way through anything.
    5) I do like when a pattern specifies that precuts can easily be used.

6. Jacque says:

1-2. When I’m not making one of my own designs, I’m attracted to great photos like your outdoor shots. They really make the quilt the focal point. Pdfs are good, but I have some books, too. The books are mostly for color helps (I’m color challenged. LOL).
    3.Modern is appealing to me but traditional is my true love!
    4. I rarely ever pay attention to the difficulty level. I just plow on through and hope I learn something in the process! 🙂
    5. I really like for a pattern to remind me if precuts are a good choice for that pattern.

7. P. says:

Sources: All of the above!

I like both modern and traditional, preferably elements that combine the two. I am attracted to the photo, and outdoor seems best to me because the lighting shows the colors and pattern better it seems. I’m also attracted to the level of difficulty. At this point, I like a certain amount of difficulty, a chance to expand my skills and make something visually interesting beyond simply squares.

I don’t usually buy precuts, but I’ve won them a few times (and am just fine with that!). I have been known to buy a pattern just because it was made for precuts (and seemed interesting) and I happened to have a jelly roll I didn’t quite know what to do with. I prefer patterns written for yardage, though.

8. linynp says:

Since time is always an issue for
    Me I like the fast style piecing. All else takes more time. I enjoy using precutsnas they can be a time saver but not a deal killer lol. I lean more towards modern or modern traditional! PDF works because its green :). Love quilt alongside they are fun. What catches me is the quilt. Sometimes it’s the design or the fabric it’s made in that catches my eye.
    Good luck and can’t wait!

9. Robin Woods says:

I like projects that are relatively quick to finish because, I just lose interest, quite frankly. I do use precuts, again in the interest of time, but also “cut my own”. I like traditional patterns rendered in modern fabrics. I admit to purchasing patterns because the picture appeals to me!

10. Robin Woods says:

11. lvkwilt says:

I just have to tell you that the quilt that Jenny Pedigo is quilting for you is amazing! Love, love, love it! Did you use her wedding ring pattern?

12. Quilting Dee says:

A good photo gets me in every time. I also like close up of quilting design. The quilting fascinates me most. I buy books and mags and do like PDF’s, I like colour and modern fabrics and make scrappy quilts, using both modern and traditional quilts. I quite like stitcheries in my quilts.
    So, photographs, design and colour will get the purchase!

13. wipgirl says:

Here’s my 2 cents on your survey questions:

What are your sources for quilting patterns: on paper, pdf downloads, in books, single patterns, quilt alongs online, etc?
    – I’ve used a little of each: I have a handful of paper patterns, PDF patterns, books, and quilt-alongs. I prefer the speed and convenience of PDF, but I don’t like wondering what’ll happen if my computer ever crashes. (Which means I like Craftsy, because the patterns stay there forever. Or at least so long as they exist…)

What attracts you to buy a pattern? If it is how the photo looks on the cover, what is eye-catching to you? If it is the quilt design, do you like modern designs or more traditional designs?

It’s generally the look of the quilt itself, so it needs to have (for me) a good clear photo showing enough of the quilt that you’ve got an idea of what it looks like. So, for the Midnight at the Oasis quilt, for example, if the cover had an artfully puddled quilt with a lot of it hidden, I probably wouldn’t buy it because who knows what’s hidden? If it’s a pattern with a consistent repeat, though, I wouldn’t be bothered by a puddled quilt or by part of it hanging over a railing so long as I can actually tell what it’s going to look like finished.

As far as quilt design, I don’t pay for patterns that I can work out just by looking at a quilt. I’ve seen people see patterns that are just reworkings of nine patch quilts – a nine-patch with sashing, say… well, I can make a nine patch in my sleep and since I started out making traditional quilts, sashing is pretty standard sewing to me too. In other words, if all I’m paying for is to have someone else work out the quantity of fabric I’ll need…. I probably won’t bother. So it needs to be complex enough to be interesting, and if it does play with traditional designs (no harm in that!), it needs to be an interesting enough take on it that I’ll feel its worth paying for.

If it is the level of difficulty, do you like challenging quilts or simple quilts that make up fast?

I’ve purchased both types of patterns. I tend to buy simpler patterns for baby quilts, but more complex ones for adult quilts.

Do you like patterns that use pre-cuts like layer cakes or jelly rolls, or does that not matter?
    I do like them, but it doesn’t particularly matter. I have used both types of pattern (and I’ve used both types with and without the pre-cuts – it’s always easy to get around things like that).