I am excited to have two more borders added to my Marcelle Medallion quilt, the one that looks like bricks and the floral fabric. Just the “plus” blocks left to do.
I have mentioned along the way that I have improvised a bit, that is, strayed from the original pattern. I want to share what I did with the brick border.
The pattern calls for piecing the brick borders and then cutting them to size and using corner stones, but I wanted it to be more continuous, to wrap around the corners (like shown above) and not have the ones on the ends chopped off.
Based on the size of my quilt so far, it worked out that 5″ bricks would piece evenly, so I started out by piecing four strips of 5″ squares, two strips with ten squares and two strips with eleven (yes, eleven) squares.
I sewed the two strips of ten squares to opposite sides of the quilt as above.
Then cut a 2 1/2″ strip off of each one, like this….
Next, sew the two strips of eleven squares on the remaining opposite sides of the quilt,
and cut a 2 1/2″ strip off those, just like the first. Now I have my first row of “bricks” attached.
Cut 4 more rectangles, each 2 1/2″ x 5″ and sew one to each of the four strips that you cut off. This makes two strips with 11 rectangles and two strips with 12 rectangles.
Match the strips back up with the sides that they were cut from, each rectangle should be off-set from the first border, creating the “brick” effect. Sew the two opposite sides on starting with the 11 rectangle strip. Press, then add the two 12 rectangle strips to the final two sides.
This is such a fun border! I think I will use this again sometime.