Welcome to the tutorial series on the Twirling Fan Quilt by Color Girl.
basic quilting tools: sewing machine, iron, rotary cutter and mat, rulers, thread
For this step, we will make the components of the fans. First, you will need to make templates.
print the templates from the pattern on heavy card stock and cut out.
I recommend reading all the instructions and then cut a few pieces, make one fan and then go from there rather than cutting all fabric at the beginning.
2. press toward the A pieces
3. use a rotary cutter and ruler to cut the A units apart, continuing the angle of the trapezoid shape of the A. You may like to make a separate template for this, but it works just as well to use the shape of the A pieces to guide your cutting. See photo above. Now you have larger trapezoid shapes.
4. fold the pieces length-wise so that the long edges of the dark strip are in half, right sides facing:
5. using 1/4″ seam allowance, sew along the raw edge of the dark strips to form folded units as shown above.
6. fold the sewn seam down so that the dark strip forms a triangle as shown below:
use your finger to open the seam and finger-press it down.
7. turn the unit right-side out, use the tip of scissors to push the point of the dark fabric out so you have a sharp tip to your triangle. Press. Your unit should look like this: (front and back)
8. Sew these units together to form the fan. Press seams open:
|back view of fan|
9. turn the fan over and use the corner of a ruler to check that the edges of the outer pieces form a 90 degree angle:
10. if needed, trim the edges of the fan so that they form a straight 90 degree angle. As shown in the picture above, the corners sometimes stick out at the wrong angle. Trimming will not affect your finished block.
Aren’t they just so cute!?