Sep

Quilters’ Companion: Scrappy Dresden Quilt

Sunday Best quilt pattern with dresden plate quilt block and Moda Fabrics by Zen Chic

So happy to finally share my latest quilt design! I made this quilt almost a year ago and this month it is featured in Quilters’ Companion magazine. Quilters’ Companion is in Australia, so it’s a bit tricky to find elsewhere. If you are interested in the pattern for this quilt, you can get a digital  magazine on Magzter.

Pattern also available to download: click here

Sunday Best (*edited: the pattern is now available to download here on this site, called Daisy, get it Here) is my colorful version of the classic dresden plate. I started with fabric from the Zen Chic collection, For You (Moda Fabrics 2015). This is one of my all time favorite fabric collections: so colorful and bright, with basic geometric and tonal prints. I wrote a Love Fabric post about it, Here.

In addition to the For You prints, I added lots of bright bits from my stash and the background is a variety of light gray and white prints, also by Zen Chic, from the collection Modern Backgrounds (Moda Fabrics 2015).

Teresa Sylva of Quilting is my Bliss did the long arm quilting…she is so talented! I used Hobbs Batting and Aurifil thread for all my piecing…both of my favorites!

I am really smitten with this quilt. I feel like it is so “me” with all the bright colors and prints mashed up together. Dresden plates are such a classic quilting motif, and they are just happy and sweet.

When I started the quilt, I was inspired by the classic dresden shape, but wanted to stir it up a bit. I debated about how to set them and how to treat the center, which is usually an appliqué circle. I ended up making the base of each fan shape a black triangle. I love way the center forms a little shoo-fly block where the four black triangles meet the sashing corner square.

Sew your own version today!

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

1. Daenette More September 10, 2016 at 8:42 pm

I just love this quilt! Are you going to provide this in a pattern form for sale?

• Sharon September 11, 2016 at 10:20 am

thank you, Daenette! Yes, I will have the individual pattern available in a few months. Watch the site for the announcement. (-: sharon

2. Warm Quilts September 11, 2016 at 12:35 am

A great mix of colorful fabrics – this quilt is beautiful!

3. nellie diaz September 11, 2016 at 3:28 am

so glad i sign up and found your website very enjoy seeing all your awesome patterns. you are a awesome quilt pattern designer

4. Jacqueline Skarritt September 11, 2016 at 8:30 pm

I love everything you design but this one really grabs my heart for some reason….. So glad you are going to create a pattern for those of us who don’t have access to the Australian magazine. I may not make the entire quilt but certainly a throw! Thank you for creating another beauty!!💕

5. Katharine September 12, 2016 at 4:19 am

It’s a beautiful quilt, Sharon .🌟🌟…. I also have the last Quilters Companion that you were featured in, and I’ll be heading off to the Newsagency to buy this one, too …another benefit of living in Australia 😂😂😂

6. Julie Beard September 13, 2016 at 9:38 am

Oh thank you Sharon for sharing your stunning quilt, it’s pattern so we can make it our own copy of your quilt.For those of us lucky enough to purchased this months Australian Quilter’s Companion. Unfortunately I will have to wait till my physiotherapist authorises the removal of my splint so I can to make this wonderful dresden plate quilt using equally as stunning bright fabrics thanks to you Sharon McConnell and Australian Quilter’s Companion. I can’t wait!

7. Brand New Pattern, Daisy, is Here! - Color Girl Quilts by Sharon McConnell Blog Archive » Color Girl Quilts by Sharon McConnell January 7, 2017 at 9:20 pm

[…] Quilters’ Companion: Scrappy Dresden Quilt […]