Jan

Ring Around Quilt, the Pattern is Here!

Ring Around modern curved pieced quilt pattern

One of my favorite quilts from the past year, Ring Around, is now available as an individual pattern! Click here to visit my quilt pattern shop to order the pdf download now. Ring Around was originally published in Quilters’ Companion magazine in Australia, so for those who couldn’t get hold of that magazine, you can now make the Ring Around quilt, too. This is a new variation on my favorite ring style quilt, with a slightly more square-ish curve…it’s just as easy to piece as your usual curves, but really creates a unique and dynamic finished design. If you like curved piecing…even if you want to learn…you must make this quilt!

Ring Around Quilt with curved piecing by Sharon McConnell

For fabrics, my sample was made with bits from my stash, no specific collection. There are a lot of Cotton and Steel prints and Art Gallery prints from various collections, too. Color-wise, this was one of those projects that came together over time and collecting, not specifically planned for this quilt. I think that we often do our best work when this happens…kind of spontaneous, like, “I am going to start a new quilt, and blue looks good today!”. I did a lot of the piecing in the fall of 2014 and finished the top at my first Sewtopia retreat in Salt Lake City.

Ring Around Quilt with curved piecing by Sharon McConnell

Quilting on my sample was done by Darby Myers of Quilted Squid, and I used Hobbs Heirloom Batting and Aurifil thread. I would say we all make a great team! (-:

As far as the pattern…I hope to see some new color and style versions of this quilt. The pattern includes instructions to make a quilt like mine, which is 48″ square. I am planning to use mine for a wall hanging, but it would also be a fine baby or lap quilt. You could adjust the size easily by making more or fewer blocks. The pattern includes full size templates, just print and cut them out and you are all set.

Ring Around Quilt with curved piecing by Sharon McConnell

I hope you are all warm and enjoying a brand new year wherever you are! I started classes again this week, and I am so excited about all the new things I will be doing. Thank you all for your kind comments and continued support when you buy my patterns. Life is crazy, but wonderful, too.

Comments

1. Kate January 14, 2016 at 1:38 am

I loved this quilt the first time I saw it in an article about you in Quilter’s Companion. Can’t wait to try it. Thank you

2. Helen LeBrett January 14, 2016 at 4:49 am

I love this quilt Sharon. You have such a nack with color placement. It just seems to shimmer!
    Hugs, H in Healdsburg

3. Mary January 14, 2016 at 11:27 am

Love this quilt. Looking forward to trying it soon.

4. Manya January 14, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Omg. You are killing me!!!! So beautiful!!!!

5. Cidinha February 12, 2016 at 1:17 pm

127After 76 years on this earth, I finally streatd quilting lessons this summer, and I am so hooked! I love your Christmas quilt and am looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful work!Thanks for sharing.Jan Armstrong El Paso, Texas

6. http://orangelodge1654.com/ April 2, 2016 at 3:38 pm

THX that’s a great answer!

7. http://www.themindstylecompany.com/ April 30, 2016 at 8:53 pm

We’ve already experienced that once: that last day of normal life back in July, back when I bought a sun hat. I am constantly aware that we could have another day like that. She could be on a ventilator a week

8. Daniela O''Connell May 12, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Oh, I love everything about this quilt! Colours and curves – gorgeous!

9. NJ car insurance May 20, 2016 at 10:24 am

I see that Maxine does some work for the International Brigade Memorial Trust, of which I am a member. What connection does she have with IB, did family go to Spain to fight as in my own case or is it a political interest

10. prestamos personales carrefour españa October 25, 2016 at 4:28 pm

I got a wife who lives to make excuses for why she doesn’t move her lazy ass off her duff. It just sickens me. I am sick and tired of hearing about. How many times do I have to ask her the same question before she gives me the proper answer of “i just didn’t feel like it”, or “i just forgot”. I hear shit like “I thought you would do it”, or “I’m sick” (which she is absolutely not).Do you know how much effort it takes to keep from blowing up in her face?

11. http://www./ November 14, 2016 at 3:54 pm

I LOVE Rock City! I grew up in Tennessee and we went there for field trips and on family vacations. Those pictures bring back such fond memories. And congrats on your rope bridge moment. There truly is nothing like the adrenaline rush and euphoria that comes from conquering your fears. Thanks again for the trip down memory lane. And as always, I ♥ your blog.