Feb

New Pattern: “Jumping Jacks” Scrap Quilt

Jumping Jacks scrap quilt by Sharon McConnell easy quilting pattern

Today I have a new quilt pattern for sale in my shop and on Craftsy. This is my “Jumping Jacks” quilt, originally featured in Quilt Now magazine for their scrappy quilts issue last November.

Jumping Jacks is a particularly fun design because there are so many ways the blocks can be laid out to create unique patterns. It is a good beginner quilt with basic piecing and cutting, or a quick make for baby shower or other gift.

Jumping Jacks scrap quilt by Sharon McConnell easy quilting pattern

When I first made the quilt, I had a tough time deciding how I wanted to set my blocks. You see, the black and white parts add two great features: to make the colorful prints stand out beautifully and to create a very graphic secondary pattern. The layout above was my favorite along with the one I chose for the final quilt.

Jumping Jacks scrap quilt by Sharon McConnell easy quilting pattern

The Jumping Jacks quilt pattern provides full instructions to make two sizes, a baby and a throw quilt. It is easy to make the quilt in any size by making more or fewer blocks. You could also change up the style by using different prints: mine is scrappy and it is perfect for scraps and stash, but you could also make it with pre-cuts (show off that favorite collection).

Jumping Jacks scrap quilt by Sharon McConnell easy quilting pattern

I hope you’ll give Jumping Jacks a try…it really is a fun quilt to play with!

Comments

1. Melanie D February 9, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Would this be layer cake friendly?

2. Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl February 10, 2015 at 12:37 am

I really like the secondary pattern the background fabrics create in the quilt. 🙂

3. Ruth February 10, 2015 at 6:05 am

Fantastic versatile layouts. I like the light dark combo in #2. Congrats on a lovely pattern release!

4. Judy February 11, 2015 at 1:59 am

Really cute pattern and very versatile layout options! Thank you for sharing it with us 🙂

5. Sharon February 11, 2015 at 7:34 am

Beautiful pattern, and I love the variations. I can’t pick a favorite!

6. Quilts in Progress: Skopelos Fabrics - Color Girl Quilts by Sharon McConnell Blog Archive » Color Girl Quilts by Sharon McConnell April 21, 2015 at 9:55 am

[…] patterns with the turquoise and cream background prints (see the original, done in black and white, Here). The Skopelos prints look gorgeous in these simple blocks, really showing off the pretty florals […]

7. Helen LeBrett August 23, 2015 at 9:30 pm

I love this pattern, and I love all the different ways the blocks can be set. I think my favorite is the last picture, but I love the one you used for the cover of your pattern. Now I need to buy 2 of your patterns: this one and the last one you posted. I really love your patterns: you have a great way of putting things together! Hugs, H in Healdsburg