Mar

No Sweat Circles, an Applique Tutorial

Tonight is a bit of show and tell with a tutorial, on a quilt I made based on the pattern “Pivot” from our current
Book Club book, Scrap Republic. Now before you get too impressed, I did not just whip this up. I made this quilt about two years ago, I just wanted to share it now since I talked about the book on a couple of weeks ago on This Post.
I also wanted to do a quick how-to on those circles. They are pretty small, so I didn’t want to piece them, but I did want them to have a finished edge (and I am definitely not a needle-turner…)
So here is my “no sweat” circle technique:

1. cut the fabric using the wedge/curved template, adding 3/8″ seam allowance to the curved edge. Use thin cardboard or card stock for the template, not plastic.

2. place the template over the fabric piece so that the ninety degree angles line up, but you can see the seam allowance of the fabric overhanging the curved edge:

3. turn the fabric edge over the template edge and press to crease

4. once you have the seam allowance turned, pressed and creased, place the fabric wedge in its place on your quilt block and pin to hold it in place:

5. thread the sewing machine with thread to match the curved piece (dark gray in my case), and top stitch in place along the curved edge. (I used white thread so it would show up in the picture)

This is such a quick and easy way to do curves, either quarter circles like this or for complete circles. Once the quilt is finished, the topstitching blends right in with the quilting!

I do have a tutorial on how to appliqué a perfect circle by  hand, too, find it Here.

I owe some winners, right? Thanks for all those who commented on my post introducing my new pattern, “Jewel Box”.
These lovely ladies will have their favorite “Color Girl” pattern in their inbox soon:

Lori: Zen Garden
Cynthia M.: Beach Comber (you are “no-reply” so you must send your email address to me)
Ellee: Jewel Box

Thursday is our next Check-In for the Bikini Quilt Along….and I have  a great giveaway from Pink Castle for you! See you then,

Comments

1. Ellee March 17, 2014 at 1:39 am

Sharon… Thank you so much for your Jewel Box pattern. What a nice surprise! I’ve just downloaded and printed it out. I’m going to make a Jewel Box lap quilt out of batiks. Can hardly wait to see how it comes out!

2. Lori Landenburger March 18, 2014 at 6:53 am

Hey Sharon!! Thanks so much for the Zen garden pattern. An explosion of orange and grey has occurred in the sewing room;) clever clever circle idea! And what a gorgeous quilt 😉

3. Cathy March 18, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I love this quilt. I never thought of doing circles that way. I’m going to try it. Hugs

4. Nicolette Mathee March 18, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I love the colouring of this quilt, perfect for teenagers.

5. Nicolette Mathee March 18, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I love the colouring of this quilt, perfect for teenagers.

6. Em March 19, 2014 at 1:12 am

Love thus quilt and I don’t think I had seen it. Sew w you soon!!!!

7. European Petals March 19, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I’m a florist here in New Jersey, usa. I customize bouquets for my shop. Even a colorful patchwork inspires me to innovate different bouquets. Thank you for the inspiration :))

In case you or anyone has a loved one or a family member here in New jersey, we do deliveries!

http://www.europeanpetals.com 🙂

8. Friday Funday: Quilting in the Round Tutorials April 24, 2015 at 8:04 am

[…] “No Sweat Circles” by Sharon from Color Girl […]

9. Bethany Whipps November 7, 2015 at 10:24 am

Lovely quilt!! Thanks for sharing!

10. Sandeep February 12, 2016 at 4:02 pm

scumfuck, stop pinotsg from your many copy channels, writing shit about me saying i’m nv. don’t post from any of your other channels either shitfire etc.you’re claiming i’m people i’m not, you have many copies of their channels and mine, you have a channel that uses my real name, and you subscribe and friend it using your other channels.you know that is all you do with your life, you’re a child-molester cult member. kill yourself.