Midnight at the Oasis QAL, Patchwork

Midnight at the Oasis: a finished top!

wow! has it really been three months? this is the last link up before our final quilt finish party later this month.
I just added the last border to my Midnight at the Oasis Quilt, and I am pretty pleased. I have to admit it was a bit touch and go for a minute, and I got to be good friends with my seam ripper…but it came together. If you like mitered corners like I do, check out my tutorial (not as scary as you might think).
You see, I started out making the courthouse steps blocks like the original pattern. I only got as far as the center squares with the white strips all the way around….I just can’t help myself, I had to try mixing it up a bit.

I wanted to use what I had of my cool floral fabric (“gracie girl” from Riley Blake), so I decided to incorporate it into this border. It was quite dicey getting the blocks to fit since I placed them on point (thus the seam ripper…)

I have really loved making this quilt, as well as the Marcelle Medallion. If you haven’t done a medallion, I really recommend it! It is so much fun to treat each border like a brand new project (without the UFO pile growing like crazy).

I am planning to wait to trim all those little tails from my zig-zags around the edge until I have the quilt basted, hoping to avoid any stretching of the bias edges.

If you are sewing along, even if you just started or haven’t finished your top, link up and show off what you have so far.
Please grab the button to display on your blog post to link back here,

Fabrics and Flowers

**Sharon
linking with Finish it Friday at Amanda Jean’s

17 thoughts on “Midnight at the Oasis: a finished top!

1. Nifty Quilts says:

Wow! Beautiful finish. Your fabric selection really makes it fresh and YOU.

2. the color combo really makes the boarders pop. Draws the eye around and around.

3. Annemiek says:

LOVE your Mato and those blocks on point are a great idea! Wish I’d thought of that 🙂
    My top is finished as well (jan 1th) and I too enjoyed the entire project.Lots! It won’t be really finished (I mean quilted) by the 31th though, since I’m a handquilter and it’ll take a lot more time than 3 to 4 weeks.
    Thank you so much for hosting the qal!!!!

4. Jacque says:

Gorgeous! You should be so proud!

5. I love what you have done with the last border – very, very effective and fits beautifully with your other modifications. Sadly I am not yet on the last border due to family circumstances.

6. Monica says:

LOL, you really were almost finished, Sharon! It looks gorgeous, and the final border is the perfect finish. You have done a great job of keeping the whole thing light and fresh. Congratulations! How will you quilt it?

7. Sharon M says:

What an inspiration you are! I have always wanted to do a quilt where each ’round’ is different. How do you decide what design to use on each section? Yous is truly stunning.

8. LynCC says:

Oooo!!! It’s so pretty, and so nicely done! Look how flat it lies. 😀 LOVE this!!!

9. Frances says:

It’s looking beautiful, and I love some of the prints you have used.

10. I love your quilt! It is so interesting to look at and the colours are just lovely! Great work!

11. Oh my, this is a real stunner! Love the fabric/color choices.

12. diane says:

LOVE! Your fabric choices and changes made this so different than the original.. I’ve been drooling over this pattern for a while – you may have pushed me over the edge!

13. Cathy says:

Sharon I absolutely love this quilt. I wasn’t able to join in the fun but I wish I had. Wishing you a very Happy New Year! Hugs

14. dutchcomfort says:

Love, love, love your MATO!!

15. P. says:

This turned out absolutely gorgeous, Sharon! Just fabulous.