Jan

January Book Club: Hand Quilted with Love

I don’t know about you, but I have so many quilting books, and I will likely keep buying my favorites. The problem is, I hardly ever actually make something from my books. So this year, I started a quilters’ book club back when my kids started school in September.
Each month of the school year, I am choosing a book to highlight and make one block. This gives me a chance to take a new look at my favorite books and to actually make a project inspired by them. At the end of the school year, I will have nine sampler blocks to make into a quilt!
This month I am highlighting “Hand Quilted with Love” by Sarah Fielke. My wonderful mother gave me this book for Christmas and it is so full of great quilts.

for my block of the month, I made this one based on the quilt “The Bass Line”. I really think this would be a fun one to make a whole quilt with. It would also be a good way to use a favorite Jelly Roll.

I added the “Bangles” quilt to my to-do list, too. It is a fun hexagon-in-hexagon pattern, and my mom just finished her top using this pattern. A-dorable! (if I can grab a good photo when she comes to visit, I will share)
As you might expect if you are familiar with Sarah’s other books, this one has a great variety of projects, all in very cheery colors and fabrics.
I have five blocks done now! Here they are, each from a different book in my library, all very bright and colorful…just the way I like it!
Have a great week! School is already cancelled for tomorrow, so I see some extra sewing in my future this week.

Comments

1. Carla January 6, 2014 at 4:06 am

What a great idea! I have Sarah’s book and love it too!

2. Mystic Quilter January 6, 2014 at 6:35 am

Brilliant idea Sharon!! I too have her book and would like to make a few of the quilts in there – Bass Line is super and as you say would be great for Jelly Rolls. Maybe I should add that to my list of Finishes for 2014

3. Sharon Eshlaman January 6, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Fabulous start! Can’t wait to see the finished project.

4. dutchcomfort January 6, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Such a great idea! I have so many quilt books that I never made anything from!

5. Cherree Buttenshaw January 6, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Love the idea. I have heaps of quilt books that I hardly ever look at, and such a great way to use up fabric. Think I might incorporate this into my plan for 2014. Thankyou

6. Linh January 6, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I don’t have that book:( but it looks like a lot of fun. I definitely have to put it on my wishlist.

7. Em January 7, 2014 at 6:19 am

Guess what book came to work with me tonight!? I giggled when I read your post. Godwink! I am studying the quilt with the hearts. I love the quilt you highlighted because it reminds me of dad’s bookshelf. Enjoy a day of quilting!

8. Cathy January 7, 2014 at 5:27 pm

What a great idea. I think I’m going to steel it….lol. Your blocks are looking good. Hugs

9. February Book Club: Material Obsession 2 - Color Girl Quilts by Sharon McConnell Blog Archive » Color Girl Quilts by Sharon McConnell January 6, 2015 at 12:10 pm

[…] wrote about another book by Sarah Fielke that I like Here I wrote about another book I recommend by Kathy Doughty […]