Mar

Twirling Fan Quilt Along: Part 3

This is the third installment of the tutorial for creating the “twirling fan” quilt. If you are just tuning in, click here to see the first two steps. I hope you join me!

At this point you have made the fan units.

1. Lay the pieced fan unit so that the straight edges line up with the edges of the background. Below is one option for setting the fans: four fans in the corners of a square block.
2. Apply the center arc unit (see  below) so that the straight edges line up with the corner of the white fabric and the curved edge covers the unfinished inner edge of the fan. Pin in place.
3. thread your machine with a thread to match the arc unit (I used gray) and, beginning at one edge, stitch the arc fabric in place. You may use a zig-zag stitch, blanket stitch or other decorative stitch.

4. thread your machine with a dark thread to match the fabrics used for the fan points. (I used black).
Beginning at one end of the fan, straight stitch in the ditch (along the seam) between the colorful fan fabrics and the dark points. See below (red line is sewing line).

5. repeat for all fans to create blocks. gently remove freezer paper and press blocks. If your fan blocks are square, sew them together in desired setting. If you sewed your fans to rectangles and plan to make your blocks like mine, the next step will instructions on setting in the center square to make larger blocks.

If you would like to show your project, upload a photo to the flick’r group.

Comments

1. Tammy March 24, 2013 at 1:24 am

Sharon I am saveing these directions for this. For when I am finished with everthing I am currently working on. I would love to make this.

2. Grit March 24, 2013 at 6:02 am

This looks really gray.

Greetings from Germany, Grit

3. me...iP(lod) Nanny January 1, 2014 at 1:04 am

Beautiful block. Can’t believe How lucky I was to found it. Thank you so much. I am making this quilt this winter with partial seam instructions.

4. me...iP(lod) Nanny January 1, 2014 at 1:06 am

PS. I saw the finished block on pint rest with stunning machine quilting. Truly beautiful. Cannot wait to make it.

5. Letha Gunter July 25, 2014 at 10:15 am

I am here today….I will be blanket stitching the curves on…..so far so good…..

6. Letha Gunter July 26, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Would have been helpful in the pattern where it says to “attach the fan to the right side of the block….. highlite the word RIGHT side of the block..I messed up two blocks and had to tear them out…
    I was following the pattern at the point of trimming the 90 degrees and just left them in that left side position…..silly me….

7. Letha Gunter July 26, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Sharon….I also learned that opening the seams in the fans reduced the bulk for top stitching….there are 6 thicknesses at the seam where the points are joined including the block and the freezer paper..because my machine is a light weight..I opened the seams for less of an impact on the needle…